I don’t know about you, but I’m currently at a point in my life where stress is beyond overwhelming. It seems as though there are too many assignments to do, too much work to complete, and too many decisions to make. I have absolutely no idea how, or why, I’m at this point. BUT! I have discovered ways for me to let off some steam, and have the energy to keep going. Here’s a few suggestions:
1. Spend Time with Jesus: Sometimes, when life gets super full and overwhelming, we forget to spend time with the one person who is most important in our lives. Here’s me being your friend and saying: go sit and talk with Jesus. He is the one that gives us strength!
2. Get outside: At this time of the year, it’s fairly easy to be indoors all the time – studying, writing papers, working on projects, sleeping…etc. But there is a reason that there is such a thing as fresh air. For me, it’s as simple as taking a walk for about an hour. There are some awesome trails all over the city, and a few really nice ones right by the school. Also, this city is filled with parks that you can explore. Whether you’re walking with friends, or by yourself, a bit of time away from staring at a computer screen, away from looking at your phone, is incredibly important.
3. Get out of the city: Calgary is a really neat place to live, because there are so many fun things to enjoy inside the city itself. There is also something seriously rejuvenating about getting in your car and driving towards the mountains. Drive for 45 mins, and you’re surrounded by incredible nature. I am one of those people that, when in the mountains, am filled with such incredible peace and joy. It’s like a weight falls off and I’m able to take a deep breath again.
4. Play: Find some friends and kick a soccer ball around. Go play laser tag. Go to the nearest trampoline park, or have a huge Dutch Blitz marathon. Place yourself in a circumstance that will have you laughing – it’s good for you.
5. Sleep: Full Disclaimer: I am the pot calling the kettle black with this one – but it is so important to allow your body to renew itself. And that means more than 4 or 5 hours of sleep a night. And don’t look at others around you and say to yourself: “They’re doing it, why can’t I?” Chances are, if they’re not sleeping, they’re actually not doing well at all. But even if they seem to be fine, you need to be taking the steps to give your body what it needs, and that may mean your self-care looks different from others.
6. Eat/Drink: First of all, make sure that you are carrying a water bottle around with you at all times, and that you are actually drinking from it. Staying hydrated is super important, especially when you have a lot going on – you want to give your body its best weapons to fight against getting sick and run down. Also, make sure that you are actually eating regular meals, and somewhat healthy ones at that! One of my tricks is to always keep a bag of baby carrots and some fruit on hand. You can’t go wrong!
Now I will be completely honest and say that I don’t have these steps down pat, but they’ve helped me in the past, and I’m working on making the above steps my normal habits in life. If we come together as a community and take care of each other and ourselves, we are much more likely to finish well!