Here we are… somehow it still feels like summer just ended, and that we should have all of this free time kicking around. But we’ve blinked and now there’s only a handful of classes left in the semester, and what seems like thousands of assignments left to be handed in (scary thought!). From my experience through this most oh-so-wonderful part of the semester (can you taste the sarcasm?) I have found a few ways that help me survive this crazy time. So here we go, my top 7 Tips to Surviving the End of the Semester:
- SLEEP: This one may seem impossible at times, when there just aren’t enough hours in the day, and no matter how hard you try, you can’t beat Barbara Blackburn (world record language typist holder) at typing. I can’t stress it enough though, that sleep is important. If you’re well rested (or let’s be real here, just rested in general) your brain will be able to focus more. Compared to those 4 a.m. papers, the assignments you hand in on a rested brain will be noticeably better.
- Make Time To See Friends: Socialize! Get your mind off of unfinished papers and assignments. Chat about literally anything other than school to give yourself a break from it. Take it from me, you’ll go insane otherwise.
- Jesus Time: Yes, school IS very important, and your grades DO matter. But guess what???? The good news is that Jesus is Lord over all of your life. Keep your heart focused on Him, and He will give you strength. Trust me, He’s great at comforting during those breakdown times, and He will never leave you alone in this stress. Ultimately, the work we are doing here should glorify Him, as everything we do is in worship to our Heavenly Father. Check out 1 Corinthians 10:31. Take care of your heart and soul, and everything else will fall into place.
- Clean Eating: I know, I know, snacking on BAGS of chips at a time is way more satisfying than munching on carrots. I’ve been there. I get it. BUT eating carrots and apples and everything else that’s green and tastes pretty average will keep you healthy. This is the time of the semester when people start to get sick (myself included) and taking care of your body will only help you succeed. And while coffee may be one of the most amazing things ever, it also dehydrates you. This won’t help when you’re trying to study! My tip: For every cup of coffee, drink a glass of water (or 2). You’ll also sleep better at night!
- Donuts: Ok I know that I LITERALLY just said to eat healthy food, but come on! Donuts are a necessity of life, and help you with those final 4 pages. I think that donuts are right up there with coffee, being basically the best things ever. My roommates know what I’m talking about, am I right?? Treat yo’ self!
- Look Ahead àAhh deadlines… you can choose to see them as impending doom, OR as a beauty in disguise. A heavily make-upped disguise. But really, deadlines give you a reason to get your butt in motion! Deadlines help you to know that you’re going to be done that paper by a certain time, and then everything after that looks like the light at the end of the tunnel! Keep pushing and you’ll make it through!
- Self-Care: The saying, “last but not least” comes into play here. Don’t let yourself take the back burner in these next few weeks. Watch out for your mental state, because really, years down the road, your mind still matters. Set aside some time every week (or every day, depending on what your personal needs are) to watch Netflix and colour in your super cool animal themed colouring book, paint your nails, talk a walk in nature, exercise, play video games, have a cup of tea… do whatever it is that you need to do to keep you calm!
Just remember, these next few week will seem like foreverrrrr, but they will pass, and you’ll be skipping down the road soon enough.
Grace and peace!